April 21, 2017
Living with purpose and values that support it actually gives more meaning to life and increases the will to live.
Does living with purpose really inspire good health? After years of effort teaching health education, public health and wellness professionals are asking why people who have all the right information are still not making more healthful choices? It is becoming clear that well-being is so much more than just health risk factor and biometric data. People make so many choices every day and most of these decisions can make us stronger or lead to deterioration of health. Living inspired with purpose and values that support it actually gives more meaning to life and increases the will to live.
People that have a purpose in life are 2.4 times less likely to die from Alzheimer’s Disease, less likely to have a heart attack and potentially promote a longer life. (Vic Stretcher TEDMED 2013)
Health promoters want to expand their programs to focus on other facets of well-being, but struggle with how to incorporate multiple dimensions such as emotional, spiritual, intellectual and vocational well-being.
Suggestions for steps to take to add purpose-driven wellness include:
- Expand communications to cover every dimension while remaining brief and interesting.
- Promote and utilize EAP programs. EAP (Emotional Assistance Programs) are getting the dust wiped off and coming to the center of more wellness programs. Onsite wellness coaches can integrate with, and refer employees to, programs such as EAPs at the right moment during a coaching session.
- Make policies that allow some volunteering during work hours.
- Onsite wellness coaches can provide employees with a more meaningful experience by using the data provided from biometrics measurements and other sources to help them make the necessary choices and set goals for improvement.
- Onsite wellness coaches can help people make better decisions that lead to improved quality of life, such as taking one’s lunch hour, utilizing vacation days and leaving work at a reasonable hour.
Learn how our onsite wellness coaches can deliver “purpose-driven” programs that are meaningful and emotionally relevant to expand wellness to well-being to all your employees.